Thistle Bindery Workshops 2016: Single Section Case Binding
Join Thistle Bindery in three bookbinding workshops for beginners to pick up the longstanding literary tradition of the craft of bookbinding.
Single Section Case Binding
Fancy making your simple hardbound covered notebook? This workshop for beginners will demonstrate the technique to create this aesthetically pleasing bookbinding skill that makes for a perfect handmade gift.
In this workshop, you will learn to:
- Decorate a cover board with Japanese chiyogami papers
- Sew papers together using a firm pamphlet stitch to create a text block
- Encase the text block with your unique cover
Please note the following for all workshops:
- The fee includes journal paper, leather cover and other materials to bind one book and the usage of bookbinding tools during the workshop.
- The workshop will commence on time. Please arrive 10 minutes earlier to browse through our sample books and explore our collection of books related to bookbinding and book arts.
- A selection of bookbinding materials and tools are available. Only cash will be accepted. Bring a little more to purchase useful materials and tools to spur you to practise more.
About the instructor
Ian trained in bookbinding and book arts in Edinburgh (UK) with the Owl & Lion Bindery. He established The Thistle Bindery in 2012 upon his return to this sunny island. Bindery is more than just an art practice to him. It is also his way of reaching out to a wider community of bibliophiles and to do charity through his workshops.
About The Thistle Bindery & Co.
The Thistle Bindery & Co. was established in 2016 as the first physical store for art practice, The Thistle Bindery. It brings together bookbinders, conservators and crafters who dabble in and enjoy sharing their passion for all things book-related.