Stories From Our Shores: The Young Storytellers Showcase
Calling all explorers, adventurers and bravehearts! Trace the roots of Singapura through heroes who once travelled to the kingdom beneath the sea, and those who triumphed over strongmen in tournaments.
March along with Raja Suran’s army of men and beasts on their expedition in search of an elusive kingdom. And listen to Badang’s rise from slave boy to a champion and warrior.
Through a mix of storytelling, percussive instruments and vibrant illustrations, journey back in time and be immersed in the legends of majestic Singapura. Delve into the treasures of our oral tradition and be proud of who we are.
Storytellers: Charlotte Elizabeth & Fahim Murshed
Musicians: Syed Ibrahim & Aden Firdaus
Visual artist: Yip Yew Chong
Director: Kamini Ramachandran
Stories from Our Shores was presented by MoonShadow Stories as part of the Esplanade’s NAC-AEP Feed Your Imagination (F.Y.I) Series 2021.
Recommended for ages 7 year old and up.
Badang the Magnificent | Badang Perkasa
Badang, the legendary strongman from Malay folklore, didn’t always have super strength. A struggling orphan in a little village, he was later tricked into slavery by a rich man. One day, he meets a water spirit or hantu air who grants him a life-changing wish. Journey with Badang as he breaks free and rises to become Badang the Magnificent.
Raja Suran’s Expedition
Did you know that Sang Nila Utama was a descendent of the sea kingdom? Starting with Raja Suran’s expedition in search of an elusive land, travel from India to the depths of the ocean. Just as our forefathers made tough journeys to start a new life in Singapore, join this epic adventure that follows three generations of hardships and triumphs.
Photography & Video Recording Rules:
- Unauthorised video and audio recording is not permitted for this event.
- Photography without flash and without disrupting the artists/event is permitted within reason.
- All patrons are required to purchase tickets for admission.
- Admission is subject to proof of tickets purchased.
- Latecomers advisory: All latecomers must wait for suitable cue for seating.
- No refunds, no exchange of tickets.
- All adults and children are required to purchase tickets for admission.
- All children must be accompanied by an adult throughout the programme.